Monday 19 August 2013

Overcoming Pregnancy Problems: Weight Gain Worries


From Flat to Fat ;-)

Before I got pregnant I was never bigger than a size 8 or 10 (UK size), partly down to my Mamma's genes and partly down to not letting myself get any bigger than that. So going from caring a lot about having a flat stomach to the idea of having a massive stomach was pretty scary to me.

I know it's for a good reason and definitely all worth it, but I think going through such huge changes to your body is a pretty normal thing to worry about. However I didn't find that much helpful information out there. (Although I'm pretty bad at using Google ha ha, if that's even something you can be bad at!)

I went through a "too much McDonalds stage" (as I called it) to begin with, where I didn't look pregnant, just like I'd eaten three McDonalds on the trot ha ha, and that was pretty annoying.

But once I started to get a proper bump it did get easier :-)

I still find it hard sometimes and get so jealous looking at skinny clothes, like crop tops and high-waisted shorts!! I miss them!! But getting my little baby at the end of the nine long months will soooo be worth it. And I think girls are tough. We just put up with the extreme exhaustion, horrendous morning sickness, stomach pains, cramps, and hormones invading our brains, and just get on with it. But sometimes it's nice to have some advice or to know you're not suffering alone :-)

So here's some tips that helped me to rid my gaining weight worries (almost, anyway)!

Frame Of Mind

This is one of those easier-said-than-done things, especially when you have a loads of unwanted hormones making you cry just at the thought of not eating dippy eggs (it's a horrible thought OK, haha). But it really does help to remember why you're doing this, and focusing on the end result. It's only nine months of your life where you lose control of your stomach, and then you'll have a crazy little baby making you run around everywhere, which is bound to shift a few pounds!

And remember - curves are sexy! And your boobs get bigger :-)

Clothing

Back in the olden days (probably around 10 years ago, ha ha) the only maternity clothes around were big baggy tops and dresses, to try and hide your bump. However that only makes you look bigger, and figure-hugging clothing can be much more flattering, which are everywhere these days! Yay! There's so much more choice with maternity clothes now, and my favourites are Asos Maternity and Topshop Maternity :-) although just buying clothes in a bigger size is do-able for ages, and I've only bought about three maternity things so far.

Maxi dresses and bodycon midi-dresses are a personal favourite of mine, or a baggier dress with a middle belt above my tum, as they highlight your bump and don't make you look frumpy! By highlighting your bump it takes the focus away from other areas (my hips!!!) and shows that you still have skinny parts left ha ha. And it shows everyone what a sexy preggo you are :-)

Black and also striped clothes are good at giving the illusion that there's no extra fat there, which is amazing in the first stage of pregnancy when you don't have a nice bump to show off, just a bit of a gut ha ha.

Pamper Yourself

If you're feeling a bit down about your weight, then focus on other parts of yourself! Go to the hairdressers and get a new, flattering hairstyle, spend a bit of extra time on your make-up,  and go and get a manicure or pedicure.

Your state of mind is really important when you're pregnant so you shouldn't feel guilty spending extra time or money to make yourself feel better, and you'll be amazed at how much it can boost your self-esteem and make you feel better about your changing body!

A Healthy Diet

Not only is it important to eat healthy for the growing human in your stomach, it can also help control the amount of weight you gain. The old wives tale about eating for two is actually untrue, as you only need an extra 300 calories a day, and only in the last trimester. (But obviously check with your doctor, I'm not a qualified health professional ha ha).

So if you want to have some control over your weight gain, make sure you eat plenty of fruit and veg, lean protein (meat and fish), complex carbs (bread, pasta, brown rice, wholegrain cereal, broccoli, cauliflower etc), high-fibre foods (fruit, veg, grains, cereal, pasta etc) and drink plenty of water!

A healthy and balanced diet helps give your babba the best start in life, as well as making yourself feel better and healthier! Rather than feeling like an obese whale ha ha.

But don't feel guilty eating anything bad - I'm OBSESSED with mint chocolate icre-cream and orange chocolate ha ha.

I hope this was helpful to any fellow preggos out there, and didn't sound moany! I love my little bump but the idea of weight gain can be tough for girls, especially when all you see everywhere is flat tums and skinny pins! Ha ha.

See you soon!!
xx

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice blog and so informative as well, I want to say a very big thanks to Dr.Itua for helping me with his Herbal Roots clease,after 10years of marriage with no child but thank God today with the help of Dr.Itua Herbal Medicine  i got pregnant with the period of 4 weeks after the herbal  treatment and i pray God give him more power to help other stander out there trying to get pregnant.for help you can reach him via: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com   or call whatsApp Number: +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete