Wednesday 28 August 2013

Surviving A Full Time Job Whilst Pregnant

There are no two ways about it, being pregnant is hard work. Combine that will a full-time job and it’s exhausting! But I have found a few things that help me make it to 5 o'clock alive (sometimes half 8 in the evening, boo-hoo. Just having a moment of self pity).

An easy hairstyle

This might sound weird ha ha, but it’s the first thing I thought of, as an easy hairstyle means longer in bed in the mornings! And I will do literally ANYTHING to avoid waking up in the morning ha ha. I've even mastered a leg lock to trap Sam in bed so he doesn't wake me up by getting up ha ha ha. My make-up takes me ages and there’s no getting around that because I'm obsessed with it being just right. But there are quick hair-dos that still look smart for work.

My favourite has got to be having my hair down and wavy, as it literally takes five minutes. I wash my hair every other day, but since I've been pregnant I've changed it to every other night – it’s all about the longer sleep ha ha. Once it’s washed and lovely and clean I put it into two plaits (still wet) and sleep on it overnight.

I'm blessed with a natural frizz to my hair – thanks Dad – so when I first wake up I do look a mess ha ha. But after a quick rub of Frizz Ease hair oil and a blast of salt spray my waves are tamed and shiny! DONE. I also have to quickly straighten my weird, grown-out fringe if it’s playing up as well, but that’s only another 20 seconds. I can handle that.


Some more of my favourites are a fishtail plait, low ponytail and half-up-half-down (very technical name) if I'm having a bad hair day!


Post-it notes

I can’t explain to you the number of post-it notes I get through a day ha ha. My memory was pretty horrendous before I got pregnant, but since I've started growing a baby inside my belly my brain has disappeared! So if anyone tells me ANYTHING, it goes on a post-it note and is plastered to my computer screen.

Until the air con comes on and blows them all down. Ha ha.

I also write it down in my notebook (loser) and sometimes on my hand as well for good measure.

P.s if you have bad morning sickness don’t do what I did and get scented ones ha ha. What a mistake to make.

Snacks, snacks and even more snacks

If there’s one thing I love more than sleep, it’s snacking! Especially now I'm suffering from energy loss. During my first trimester I was soooo tired all the time that I needed regular food just for energy purposes even if I wasn't hungry, and if I hadn't eaten for two hours I suddenly transformed into an ogre with anger issues. I once ripped open a Nutri-Grain bar with my teeth rather than my hands like a normal person would, because I couldn't get it open quick enough. While grunting and grrr-ing like a crazed lunatic. SEXY!

So it’s safer for everyone in the office if I keep a stash of snacks nearby at all times ha ha.

My favourite ones to keep handy are Oat So Simple porridge sachets, because they’re so easy to carry around and so easy to make! You just empty the sachet into a bowl, fill up the sachet with milk and pour that into the bowl, and then put the mixture into the microwave for two minutes. (And then add sugar if you have a sweet tooth like me ha ha).

If you don’t have access to bowls, microwaves or milk, another of my favourites are Kellog's Nutri-Grain bars, if you hadn’t already guessed! They’re really filling compared to a chocolate bar or crisps and much healthier, so I feel less guilty eating 20 a day :-)

Nap time

There’s a bit of a theme forming here – I love sleep and food ha ha. But naps are AMAZING. I don’t always have time for an after-work nap but when I do I feel a THOUSAND times better.

If you’re one of those who claim they can’t physically nap, even just lying down with my eyes shut listening to music or lying on the sofa reading a book after work does wanders. It helps my mind relax and I feel so much better afterwards, and then I can get on with my evening and not spend it feeling tired and miserable after a stressful day in the office!

Take beauty products to work

This might be another one that sounds random, but when I feel like I look tired (does that make sense?) I feel even worse! I might be tired on the inside but I don’t want everyone commentating on how tired I look on the outside as well!

I always make sure I have the following on me at work, which I slip up my sleeve or into my pocket and take to the toilets with me when I’m feeling like I need a beauty boost:



I just feel more awake once I’ve touched up my lips and eyes, and I feel like I can carry on kicking work in the butt.

Travel toothbrush and toothpaste

Morning sickness is the absolute worst, but when you’re suffering from it at work it’s beyond horrendous! I really feel for you if you’re suffering with this at the moment. I had super bad sickness which lasted up until around 18 weeks (don’t believe the lies people tell you that it ends at 12 weeks) and I still occasionally suffer now. And I was always so paranoid that I stunk of sick after I came out the loos! Delicious.

But if you keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste on you, you can slip that up your sleeve and make a dash for the toilets, and come out smelling fresher than ever!

Last but not least…

Make sure you know where the nearest available toilet is at all times! Ha ha.
Even if you’re not suffering from “morning” sickness, you’re bladder is only going to get weaker I'm afraid, and when you gotta go you gotta go. Enough said :-)

Sorry this was a HUGE post, but as you can see I feel very strongly about trying to survive work at the moment ha ha. Thank God for holiday days :-)

See you soon!!
xx

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment